2014 is Troop 212?s 60th Anniversary!
Here is the list of special events we are planning:
- Friday, May 16th, 2014 – Big Bash Adult Party
- Saturday, May 17th, 2014 – Family Picnic BBQ at El Dorado Park
- Sunday, May 18th Early Morning Golf Challenge
- Sunday, May 18th Late Morning Time Capsule Bury Event
This upcoming 60 th Anniversary Party at the Grand, now only two weeks away, has been a challenge, mainly because our goal is to deliver more “WOW” than the last one, 10 years ago. Perhaps at first this might appear an “impossible mission”, but I believe we have succeeded in raising the high bar Troop 212 style, yet again, as many of you experienced in the past when we have shared action packed adventures together during our trips to Washington DC, or our out of state summer camps, or when we have launched from the base of Hoover Dam for our Colorado River canoeing adventures. This Friday evening, May 16th event contains a very full program, so please keep in mind the doors to the Catalina Room at The Grand open at 6 PM , and I suggest you plan on arriving as near to that time as possible, which will ensure not missing any of the good stuff. Since this is an adult event, the cash Bar will be open at 6 PM as well. By the way, if the details below sounds like a fun evening, and you have not yet registered for one of the few remaining seats at this “once in a lifetime party”, just send an e-mail to Scoutmaster@troop212.net to remedy this .
So, what do I mean by “good stuff” ? Just so you are aware, using the review comments from the last time we held this event, our enhancements this time fall into four categories; we needed a DJ with good music and special lighting for dancing, we needed some kind of entertainment or show, there needed to be an Anniversary Cake Cutting Ceremony, and we needed more time to view the memorabilia, and especially the slide show pictures.
This time, we have hired a marvelous DJ with plenty of good 60’s music to support our anniversary theme throughout the evening, as well as support the dancing and lighting request later in the evening. The show and entertainment portion of the evening is an original production, which promises to be surprising, and maybe even slightly magical. The memorabilia area will draw a flood of great stories from all of you, achieved by the four tables of professionally presented Memorabilia and Collectibles Scouting items from our Councils Archivist, but also the two tables of Troop 212 archived materials, much of it never before viewed by the public…hidden away all these years just for this night. To give you an idea, instead of a still life picture show, we have unearthed many hours of never viewed before archived videos from Troop events years ago, to be viewed this night on three concurrent projection systems. These videos will be added to the Time Capsule at the end of the evening. Also, leave time to take pictures with friends you have not seen for many years by the special 60th Anniversary Cake, while it is still available, or by the Troop Banner or Troop Sign.
When you first walk in, after the Registrations Tables, the Troop 212 Anniversary Cake will be on your immediate left and the Time Capsule Collection Table, with the actual burial case, will be immediately on your right. Please drop off the donated items, with write ups, you are offering at that location.
Assuming you arrive promptly at 6 PM, the busy evenings’ schedule allows a full hour for the above viewing, as well as catching up with friends we have not seen for years, because the Opening Ceremony begins at 7:10 PM, just like a troop meeting, or Court of Honor, to “officially” begin the event. However, this opening ceremony will be very different than anything viewed at any scouting event. This may sound “impossible” you say ? Stay tuned….And, just like a real meeting, some activity will begin occurring at 7 PM.
Following the opening ceremony and introductions, the meal portion of the program will be served at 7:30 PM and finished by 8:30 PM. We will be enjoying a garden salad, or tri-pasta salad, Roasted Beef Brisket , Rice Pilaf, Fresh Steam Vegetables, Bread and Butter, and the Coffee Bar will be open all evening.
From there we lead into the Awards And Recognitions portion of our program for the next 45 minutes. Over the years there have been many “Heroes” that have made our boys program so effective, and we would like to show our appreciation. In addition, our Eagles in the room will be REALLY glad they attended.
Then at about 9:15 PM, we all enjoy our special Anniversary Cake, leading into our 9:30 PM entertainment show for 30 minutes. Our troop is famous for our unique Adventure Trips outside of our local area, so this time we are delivering to the room a unique show from a faraway land.
The final hour, from 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM, is set aside for all to enjoy our open dance floor, or more video and other memorabilia viewing, or just more visiting and photography time with old or new friends. By the way, each table will have a troop owned camera ready to go with a 20 picture capacity, which will be processed by the troop, and later placed on our web site. Also, there is a very special parting gift at the very end of the evening for each participant.
So, if this fully scheduled evening, which has a little something for everyone, sounds like fun, come prepared to say “ WOW !”…..and if you have not yet registered for one of the few remaining seats, just send an e-mail to Scoutmaster@troop212.net NOW!
The Troop Anniversary BBQ is rapidly approaching, being next Saturday, May 17 th. If you wish to attend, and have not yet paid or submitted a Reservation Form with us , your final opportunity to do so will be the May 12th Troop Meeting.
Please take note of the following information;
- We will be located in the SG area of El Dorado Park. You would enter thru the Spring Street Gate. Here is a map to the BBQ location. We will have our troop sign visible to make it easier to locate our area. You can look for our two big silver tarps as well.
- Please remember to bring your folding chairs. If you have an “ Easy Up”, please bring that as well. All these items need the families name on them…that includes the carry bags as well.
- The fun begins at 10 AM with some open field games that include volley ball, horse shoes and badminton.
- We plan on serving lunch at about 12 noon, for about an hour.
- The morning games are just for fun and warm up to prepare for the after lunch competition games that will give family teams an opportunity to win prizes and ribbons. These Family Games will begin at about 1:30 PM. Family teams will have the opportunity to enter three competitions; Egg Toss, Three Legged Race, and the Tug Of war. Expect to get dirty or even muddy during these afternoon games.
- This is a Boy Scout Family outing, which requires the standard permission slips completed and collected at our Check In Table . Please download the blank form from our website, also located on the “trips” tab.
- Another reason for this BBQ is to allow more reunion time that began the evening before at the Big Party. We encourage everyone to bring any pictures or other items to share
- Please keep in mind this is a Family Event that prohibits any consumption of alcohol.
- Clean up begins at 3:00 PM. We need to out of the Park by 4 PM, so we request as many folks as possible to stay and help us accomplish this.
Please feel free to e-mail with any questions.
60th Anniversary Scramble Golf Tournament
Sunday, May 18, 2014
Tee off Time Start: 10:00 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Heartwell Golf Course
6700 E. Carson Street
Long Beach, CA 90808
Cost: $30.00 per person
4 Man Teams
See the Tournament Flyer for more details